Sunday, May 1, 2011

Venezuela - Week 1

It´s been a while since my last post, but we´re in Venezuela!! My group (Adrienne and Steven) is in Barquisimeto. The trip took about 5 hrs and I was surprised how similar the interior is to Panama. Even the crazy downpour of rains for 5 mins followed by sunshine!
Our first half day here and we already experienced some amazing musiking (Adrienne hates the word, I´m not a fan either).

The II Festival de Percusión started today, they had the compota group (ages 2-8, which you will see in the video) and older students. The second group (black shirts) have only been playing for 5 months!! Older students can really take the nucleos to a higher musical level when mixed with the younger students (Rodrigo, FESNOJIV).

I love the reaction from the audience (BRAVOS! clapping, dancing, singing) especially when the folk/pop tunes begin. Talking with the director of the Orquesta Sinfónica Juvenil e Infantil del Estado Lara I found out that 30 years ago the audience in Ven. was a little shy, something similar happens in Panama (I don´t know if now it has changed). So that is a change that came about slowly, but I think it is essential for the children to feel successful and encouraged. No amount of material extrinsic rewards can surpass the feeling of being important to your community and family.

More to come soon - Steven is editing videos, I will link as soon as they´re ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment